Monday, October 1, 2007

Wife of the Year? or maybe just plain crazy!

Okay - for all of you who know my sweet darling husband - you know he loves, loves, loves football, TV, and the occasional X-Box marathon. Well, I wanted to surprise Nick for his 38th birthday (wow that's old). Originally I had tickets on hold for the BYU vs. San Diego State game in San Diego - I thougt it would be fun for the both of us to have a little get away - however, Nick is the project manager for his company, a retail Co., so October though December is a really crazy time. So that idea was out, darnit. After a few other ideas, I finally decided to cave and surprise him with Halo 3. He loves Halo and I pretty much hate it -but this is about Nick and what he loves.....so I ran down to Best Buy the morning Halo 3 was released and grabbed one of the last copies available. As I'm heading to the check out, quite proud of myself, I noticed that it said Halo 3 for X Box 360, well we have a 4 year old X-box, so I ran over to the Best Buy guy and said I need the Halo 3 for regular X-box, he laughed at me and said they don't make Halo 3 for X-box only for X-box 360 - I proceeded to say that I hate X-box, and was left in a little prediciment. What to do - the saleman sensing my frustration started talking to me about how much better the graphics are for X-box 360, blah, blah, blah - don't care, but I really wanted to surprise him. As I left Best Buy $500 later, I decided that I was indeed a candidate for Wife of the Year, always sacrificing!


I was so excited to finally surprise him for his birthday. I quickly got Cole out of the car, swore him to secrecy, and because we were runing late for pre-school I left the bright yellow Best Buy bag on the fender of the car. I ran inside, fed Cole a quick PB&J, and ran upstairs to grab him a sweatshirt, and as I was walking down the stairs I heard Cole talking to someone - to my surprise it was Nick home for lunch. Now, my sweet husband has been home for lunch all of 3 times in the last 3 months, no joke, so of all the days to come home (yes, the Best Buy bag is still on the fender - Aghh). He gave me a little smile, and I froze for a second trying to remember where I had left the bag. I calmly asked him if had seen anything - to which he replied "you mean the bag with Halo 3, an X-box 360, and a wireless controller that was left on the fender". Now we have to remember a Best Buy Bag to a male is like a Nordstrom bag to a female - so of course he looked, I couldn't even be mad - so my fabulous surprise ruined, not to mention my last weekend before Halo 3 became a part of our home. He was thrilled and quite surprised that I would buy him something I pretty much detested. So the jury is still out...wife of the year or just plain crazy - you be the judge!

7 comments:

Melissa said...

What a sweet wife you are! I went to buy Guitar hero for our normal x box and the guy did the same thing...laughed! I guess we'll have to upgrade soon. Happy Birthday Nick!

bolingbrokes said...

of course you're wife of the year!! Plus you basically "OWN" him for the next 3 months. "Nick I really need the garage cleaned out...remember how I bought you Xbox 360 and halo and a remote?...you get the picture!!

Courtnie said...

You freaked me out! I thought you were going to say that it got stolen off the fender. Whew! That could have been a lot worse than Nick finding out. Happy Birthday Nick and Congrats for being so great Rach!

Jill said...

You do so OWN him. Milk it baby.

jillyn said...

hi rach...just looking at your cute blog. i am laughing so hard at this story. sounds like my last year "surprise" birthday present for mitch. which included walking to gamestop a half a mile away in the rain hauling josey in the baby bjourn and the old xbox because mitch took the car with the carseat and stroller...ONLY to get home, leave the bags in the living room to go get the mail, come back and guess who is home early with a sheepish grin on his face.:) you are definitely wife of the year AND a little bit crazy (we both are).

Molly said...

Rachel- Hello! It's Molly Pickett, your I heart swap buddy! I just wanted to thank you for such a fun package! I too love Aveda products, so I'm excited about the stuff you sent me. And I also LOVE to cook, so the recipe box will be great. The funny thing about the apple you sent me is those are my absolute favorite!! Have you had the one from the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory- apple pie apple?? You need to try it, it's just like the one you sent to me. It's been fun reading your blog- your family is darling. My favorite song is the Michael Buble one playing on your blog! I went to his concert this summer and fell in love with the guy! Anyway- just wanted to say thanks for the fun package- I appreciated it! It made my day. Keep in touch mmpickett@gmail.com
Take care!

TNTWilliams said...

My vote is wife of the year-no doubt! You are always so thoughtful and generous.